Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pinky Promise

A couple of weeks ago, I watched an episode of "Extreme Weight Loss" for the first time. The host, Chris Powell drew me in from the first minute. His enthusiasm and boundless hope for the people he was working with, it got me excited, both for his clients and for my own journey.

After viewing that episode, I got online and looked Chris up. I was interested to learn a bit more about his method, his ideology, and his diet strategy. One of the first things I read was an article titled "Getting Started on Your Transformation." The first step Chris suggested was to make a promise to yourself. He didn't say what that promise should be, only that it must be an unbreakable promise. A pinky promise, if you will. ;)

That's quite the challenge! An unbreakable promise?

I could promise myself I'd never eat junk again, or that I'd exercise every day, or that I'd stay within my calorie goal no matter what. But, I know those are in no way unbreakable. Anything and everything could get in the way of me keeping those promises. Not only that...I know me. I know that even on my best day, there is that part of me that wants to eat what is not good for me, that wants to veg on the couch or sleep in or cut the run short. Every day, there's that part of me that recounts how long I've been fat, how many times I've failed before, how many times I've lost weight only to gain it back again.

And, just as that thought crossed my mind, the Lord dropped my promise into my heart.

Here it is:

Always get back up.


I know I will fall. I know how many times I have fallen. But, I also know a couple of other things.

I know that no matter what my "Fallen and Failed" score is, my "Got Back Up" score is that plus 1. I also know something even bigger, even more certain than that:

"...it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” ~ Deuteronomy 31:6 

Now, more than ever in my life, I know this to be true. He is with me. He is actively with me, leading, guiding, correcting, providing a way of escape and, yes, helping me get back up when I fall. That is why I can make the promise to always get back up. That is why I know it is unbreakable. Not because I am infallible or have that much determination, but because He has always been that faithful and always will be.

So, because of who He is, I promise myself that I will ALWAYS get back up. No matter what, no matter how many times it takes, no matter how far down I go, I will always, always get back up.

Pinky promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment