Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Wrong Way?

(This post is going to be a bit of a rant...you've been warned.)

So, I went to the doctor today. Of course, the subject of my weight-loss came up. The Reader's Digest version of this story is the Doctor basically told me that I've done everything wrong.

I'm losing too much, too fast. I should aim for one pound per week.
I need to eat more calories.
I need to eat more carbs...use the food pyramid as my guide.
I should see a dietician.
I probably should do something more low-impact (i.e. not running).

I left quite a bit miffed. I mean, in the past six months I've changed my life and done what no doctor or medication has been able to accomplish:

I've lost 71 pounds (average 2.5 pounds a week).
I'm eating regular, normal sized meals.
I'm eating actual, proper food, including lots of fruits and veggies.
I'm exercising 6 days a week.
I'm virtually migraine-free.

Did I do so under a doctor's care? No. Actually, none of the doctor's I've seen in the past 15 years have said "boo" about my weight.

Did I follow the food pyramid? No. The carb-heavy food pyramid made me fat and gave me migraines.

Is running the best choice for an obese person. Probably not, but it's what I love and I've tried to be smart about it, getting the right gear and easing in. I've also managed to do it without injuries (so far).

Oh and did I mention, in spite of all this...I'm 70 pounds lighter and virtually migraine free?

The other thing that kinda ticked me off is that this constructive criticism is coming from the same people that prescribe weight loss pills and do weight loss surgery.

Surgery and starvation (because the body can't handle food) giving their patients way faster weight loss than I've experienced. Not to mention so many other unpredictable side-effects and complications.

THAT is more medically advisable than eating real food, cutting out the items that make me sick and exercising regularly?

Really?

I'm sorry Medical Establishment, but I'm not buying that.

I'm going to stick with giving my body what it wants, staying away from what it doesn't, and watch my body shed the pounds it's been storing courtesy of the food that doctors and the government and food manufacturers and marketing people told me to eat. And, y'all can just watch me get healthy...the "wrong" way.

(Thus endeth the rant.)

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Tina!! Coming from a nurse, I know first hand that doctors don't know what they're talking about. Keep doing whatever it is that's obviously working for you. 71 pounds is awesome! Listen to your body and do what's best for Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rant away Tina!!! You have done awesome this go around on MFP!!! You've tried before, and your commitment now is outstanding!! I know you won't let those doctors comments eat away at you....YOU have found what is best forYOU!! Your pictures show a happy, healthy woman, so pooh on he doctor!

    By the way, my yearly physical is tomorrow morning, so hope to not share the same experience you had! lol!

    See you on MFP,
    Maryrx59

    ReplyDelete